Don't Just Stand There Do Something!

Do you have a goal for your life? Are there things you would like to do, people you would like to spent time with, places you would like to see?

If you are like most people you will be able to answer these questions fairly quickly. Almost all of us think about a dream we have for our lives, or how we would like to spend more time with the people we love. The real question is - what are you doing about it?

The vast majority of people go through life aware that they would like to do these things, yet they don't set things in motion to lead them where they want to go. They end up playing the lottery of life. They pick a few numbers and hope that everything will work out okay in the end. The only problem is that the chances of winning the lottery are fairly slim. Similarly, the chances of life randomly turning out the way you dreamed are just as slim. Will it happen for some? Probably. Will you be one of the lucky ones? Who knows? Is that a chance you are prepared to take?

I came across a very interesting statistic during the last year. Did you know that 95% of people do not write out any goals for their life? They are either unsure of what they want, or are simply happy to daydream about their future. That in itself isn't particularly interesting. But the next part is. Out of the 5% of people who take the time to write out their goals, 95% of them achieve their goals.

Wow!

So which kind of person are you? The kind who drifts along wherever the wind and waves of life take you, or the kind that says, "Hey, I know what I want out of life, I have goals, and this is what I am going to do to achieve them"?

By age 32, I had 4 major life dreams come true. And these were not small dreams. In fact they often seemed impossible. For example, it was at the age of 12 I made up my mind that I would live in Canada some day. After visiting the Country, I feel in love with it. I felt completely at home here, even more so than in my native Ireland. I told my parents that I would live here some day.

Then one Winter day 18 years later, I stood at a British airport with my wife and 3 kids with a one way ticket to Canada. We had sold the majority of our possessions and I had a job lined up to go to. It was amazing!

So for those 18 years did I sit back and do nothing? Absolutely not! I had a goal, and as soon as my wife was on board with the plan, I set about job hunting in Canada - from England! I managed to land a good job; something that required many emails, telephone interviews, and even a trip to Canada. When I was offered the job I then had to organize a work permits, study permits for our children, and submit an application for Permanent Residency on behalf of our entire family. Now here we are a few years later, Citizens of the Country we love.

None of these things would have happened on their own. It took a lot of thought, planning, and action. The goal was there, but the plans needed to be put in motion.

What about your life? Are you waiting for your dreams, goals and visions to somehow magically become your reality? If so, I'm sad to say you might end up disappointed later in life.

If there is something you want out of life, do what you can to make it become a reality for yourself! Prepare yourself, study if you have to, find ways to connect with others who are doing what you want to do. Learn from them. Take action!

At the end of the day you've got to make sure that you don't just stand there hoping, wishing and daydreaming. You've got to do something! Take action - positive steps that will move you towards you goal.

Robin Abrol is a Canadian motivational speaker and dream expert. Having achieved 4 major life dreams by the age of just 32, he now encourages people to find their purpose and live their dreams. You can find out more about him at http://www.robinabrol.com/


Original article

No comments: